Sunday, August 9, 2009

setting up linux on asus nova (p20?)

One of the first things that I had a problem with is the screen resolution. After mucking around a bit in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, I realized that it was getting messed up at boot and I fixed it by adding vga=773 to the end of the kernel line of the configuration(s). I might have to reset this later on if I use a different monitor. For some reason, pcbsd/freebsd got the resolution right and I didn
t have to worry about it. Gentoo however is the distro that was giving me this problem. I picked gentoo instead b/c I was having trouble with other things in the psd distro and I'm more familiar with gentoo and linux in general compared to bsd. I guess I should be clear that I'm using the 2008 gentoo livecd as the install medium.

Another thing that wasn't working quite right was the shutdown of the audio drivers. there was a line to change in /etc/init.c/alsasound, according to http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=232875
which involved changing a --wait flag to --force .

No comments: